Saturday, February 9, 2013

MOVIES NOTES: Anne Hathaway works out as latest Catwoman


http://www.fresnobee.com/2012/07/23/2919121/bentley-anne-hathaway-works-out.html


One of the small complaints I have about the movie "The Dark Knight Rises" is the costume Anne Hathaway wears as Selina Kyle, better known as Catwoman.

My editor thinks the costume works, especially the high heel shoes that make her look both stylish and serve as deadly weapons. My argument is that a cat burglar would probably pick a shoe that is a little more comfortable.

As for wearing the high heels, Hathaway says: "You just do. It's part of being a woman. You just figure it out. 'The Devil Wears Prada' was good training because I had to run around Manhattan in high heels."

Hathaway would have worn tennis shoes, boots or even plastic bags over her feet just to be in the movie. She wanted to be in it so much, she says, "I would have played a footstool."

Along with those high heels, Hathaway dresses in a skin-tight outfit. Director Christopher Nolan delicately made sure Hathaway knew he didn't want Catwoman looking like she was about to have kittens. Nolan pointed out how much time Joseph Gordon-Levitt spent in the gym getting in shape for his role in "Inception."

"When I got the part, Chris called me into his office. He said Joe got in really good shape. Joe went to the gym for months so he was in really good shape for his fight scenes. I really liked that. 'I was like, gotcha. I'm reading between the lines here,' " Hathaway says. "So I went to the gym."

Many of this year's Emmy nominations are unfamiliar to a lot of TV viewers, especially those who don't subscribe to cable. The one show that I'm getting asked about the most is "Girls." The HBO series picked up three nominations: Best Comedy, Best Actress in a Comedy, and Best Comedy Writing.

The actress who got the nod is Lena Dunham, who first came to fame in 2009 with her small-budget movie "Tiny Furniture." The series deals with four very different women, all in their 20s, who live in New York City. Imagine "Sex and the City" without all the expensive fashions.

According to Dunham, she got nominated for playing herself.

"It's closely based on my own experience of getting out of college and not having a sense of whether I would ever get to do the thing I wanted to do, and I was really miserable. I was working in a baby clothes store and just excited that I got free cookies in the afternoon," Dunham says. "It was a really kind of confusing, frustrating time, and I saw a lot of my friends going through the same thing, and it didn't feel like it was being reflected back at us."

Don't hesitate to watch "Girls." The low-rent version of "Sex and the City" has become a darling of critics and Emmy voters.

It seems I'm not the only person who was surprised when it was first announced that Christopher Nolan would direct a trio of Batman movies, starting with the 2005 release "Batman Begins."

It wasn't a concern of whether or not Nolan could handle the massive task. Anyone who can direct a complicated movie like "Memento" can handle almost any film project.

The reason the choice seemed unusual was that Nolan had only directed small films.

Even Michael Caine, who has played Bruce Wayne's loyal butler Alfred in the trilogy, was caught off guard when Nolan showed up at his door with a script.

"I recognized him from his first two films and thought, 'Oh, it's going to be a lovely little thriller we're going to do here'," Caine says.

Caine was surprised when Nolan told him the film was "Batman Begins." The next big question was which character Nolan was offering him.

"I knew I was too old to play Batman and he couldn't want me to play Catwoman, but I didn't really see myself as the Butler. When I read the script, that same morning, because Chris said he had to leave with the script, I was stunned by the writing. They were real people with real relationships and it was real drama," Caine says. "I said, 'Yes,' right away."

Read more here: http://www.fresnobee.com/2012/07/23/2919121/bentley-anne-hathaway-works-out.html#storylink=cpy

No comments:

Michael Caine

MichaelCaine.com The Official website of Sir Michael Caine